I was disappointed in a number of things regarding the property starting with the lack of specific information regarding the property itself.
Instructions such as where the electrical panel was located and labelling of lights etc would be a big help as there were a number of things that had been shut off at the panel that I had to sort out for myself. It would also be helpful to have a flash light and some candles in the event of a power failure. Fortunately I had one myself when the power went out one evening.
The morning after our arrival the temperature and pressure relief valve for the kitchen water heater blew flooding the floor of the kitchen with scalding hot water.
This left quite a mess to mop up not to mention I was in bare feet. Shortly after I had finished cleaning up the first mess it blew again.
So after mopping up for the second time I unplugged it.
The property manager was contacted the by the caretakers the morning after our arrival and told... Plus