1) We've rented many houses/condos around the world with nary a problem.
2) We were OK with the crickets, mega-wasps and scorpions in the house... after all, there were no screens on the windows.
3) The Commendable Rentals (CR) "Renters Guide" was a long time coming and turned out to be a couple of pages long with lots of missing directions/hints, etc. How to operate the pool controls? How to use the washing machine? The satellite dish? Etc.
4) The house hadn't been vacated by the owners and we weren't sure what came with the rental. For example, was the bottle of wine on the kitchen table complimentary? Were we to use the fresh produce? The closets and dressers were empty, but the pantry, bathroom toiletries, etc were still as if someone else was still living in the house. Again, no guide to explain the policies, etc.
5) The very congenial woman who met us and gave us the keys spoke no English and seemed to be a novice - when we first called to let... Plus